Monday, August 1, 2011

Pear-ed Up.

I've never really been a rule follower. Not to say that I'm a rule breaker either. I'd say I'm a rule bender. I usually try to follow the rules in my own way.


That is until it comes to fashion. For some reason, I tend to follow the few rules of fashion I know: Don't pair black and brown, don't wear socks with sandals, ect. I've never really thought of myself as a particularly stylish or trendy person so the rules give me some guidance when I would otherwise feel lost. When I decided to focus on finding my personal style as part of this project, naturally, the first thing I did was turn to the internet to look up the current rules.

I am a classic pear shape. I definitely have a larger bottom and fuller legs compared to my waist. Here are the rules I've found to be pretty standard across the board for someone with my body shape:

- Wear darker bottoms, whether it be jeans, skirts, or a swim suit bottom. Darker shades are more effective at camouflaging fuller areas.

- Wear brighter colors or patterns on top. This brings the eyes up and in conjunction with the dark bottoms  will have a slimming effect

- A-line skirts are best. They sit close the waist and skim the areas I'd like to keep the focus off of.

- Nude shoes will make your legs look leaner and longer. Add a little heel and the effect is intensified.

- Jeans should be bootcut or wide-legged to balance out a full set of hips.

Armed with these tips I've scoured a few of my favorite stores for pieces that fit the bill and here are a few of my favorites.

Steve Madden Unifyy shoes. I've never been a heels wearer but I have these in black and they are wonderfully easy to walk in and stay comfortable for hours.

I love the neck detail, the sash, and the playful elephant print on this dress, it's a little out of my price range, but maybe it will go on sale soon :)

I've never purchased anything from Anthropologie, but have always loved the sweet, vintage inspired clothing.

Since this is not a fashion blog I will stop with those 3 things, but promise to share any exciting purchases with you.

2 comments:

  1. I love that elephant dress too! I actually tried it on and exclaimed, "This elephant dress makes me look like an elephant." It was a sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH how sad! I've been thinking about it since I found it!

    ReplyDelete