Monday, August 22, 2011

New digs

For the past week I've been packing, cleaning, and moving boxes into my new apartment. I have to say it's much less stressful to move over a period of a week instead of a day. Also, much less organized.
If you went to the University of Minnesota, then you know that Sept 1st is moving day for pretty much anyone living in a mile radius of campus. The problem with this is that everyone moving into a new apartment on September 1st had to move OUT of their previous apartment on Aug 31st. This leaves much of the the student population "homeless" for a day. A lot of students have family living nearby so, luckily, they have a place to store their stuff short term. Others rent a U-haul truck for the day and leave their stuff inside overnight, or end up having to put some of their belongings in storage. Luckily I have an aunt and uncle who live in The Cities, which means I stayed with them for a week in between apartments one year. The next year, my housemates and I literally moved into the house directly next door to us. We emptied all of our belongings into the shared parking lot and basically hung out until we were allowed to move our stuff into our new rooms.
This year, having 2 whole weeks in which to move was extremely helpful. I didn't have to take vacation from work, or recruit 20 of my closest friends to help me empty boxes before noon. My boyfriend is oddly excited about packing, cleaning, and unpacking and since moving is probably in the bottom 10 of my favorite activities, I was beyond thrilled to learn of his enthusiasm. In fact, he was so anxious to help that he actually unpacked 90% of the boxes while I was at work tonight. He made what was basically a jungle-gym of cardboard this afternoon look like an inhabitable space by 10pm!
Tonight will be the first night of sleeping here and I have to admit it feels like home already!

No comments:

Post a Comment