Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Yogahhhh

Last night I attended a yoga class for the first time in months, and it made me remember why I love it so much. Yoga is one of those things that serves double duty for me. First of all, it's great for my body and my frame of mind. Whenever I practice yoga I notice a significant change, for the better, in the choices I make. I tend to eat better, decisions seem a little easier, and I generally feel more motivated. Secondly, since a lot of my friends also practice yoga it usually serves as a social outing as well.

The reason I decided to roll out my mat last night was because two of my friends are celebrating birthdays this week and following yoga we all brought out treats and vino and had a little post zen pick-nick. Did I mention this was an outdoor, lakeside class? I had to leave a little early in order to make it to work on time (I work 3rd shift 3 nights a week) but even the idea of 30 minutes of socializing was all it took to get me to the class. Which made me realize, my fitness routine is a whole lot easier to keep when I work out with other people. Example numero dos: I have never been a runner, and I mean NEVER. I was the slowest kid in gym class from kindergarden all the way through middle school. Once my boyfriend suggested we run together it was immediately easier and more fun. I've now promised a few friends I'd run a 5k with them. I figure the next logical step is to schedule work-out dates once or twice a week.

I am a little curious though, I know I'm not the only one who is more motivated with a partner, but what are ways to keep your motivation when no one can come work out with you?

1 comment:

  1. I severely struggle with this since I live by NO ONE. Changing up your routine [bike, jog, yoga, dance], doing fitness socially (like you wrote), and talking about it keeps me motivated. Also a sick playlist.

    ReplyDelete